Nemberala Beach in Rote Island
The island of Rote in East Nusa Tenggara is the southerntmost region of Indonesia. It is a part of Rote archipelago, which consisted of 96 islands including Rote island, Usu island, Ndao island, Nuse island and many more. This region is an area with a dry climate and is affected by monsoons.
The Rote archipelago has been well known for it’s tourism spot. Especially beach and of course their famous musical instrument ‘Sasando’. It is surely a place that you need to visit once in a while. And among those lovely beaches here, you can find Nemberala Beach in Rote island.
Nemberala Beach is famous of it’s beautiful view and landscape, along with their great waves. Several surfing events has been held in here regularly. Enjoying a wonderful sunset, combined with warm tropical weather and cool sea breezes is an advantage of this beach. Therefore this place is quite famous among foreign tourists.
As mentioned before that surfing events often held here. With waves as high as 7-10 meters can be found in Nemberala beach. The blue sea water combined with typical beach views such as coconut trees and white sand add to the beauty of this beach. The beach is rather wide and slope, a very great place to relax if you don’t want to surf. In addition here is one of the producers of seaweed. You can also find seaweed harvesting activities here in Nemberala beach.
The Best Time to Nemberala Beach
If you want to watch the surfing contest, we suggest you to come here during the wave season at around August – October. There will be local and international surfing contests here.
But if you don’t want to involved in the crowd and have a more quiet atmosphere, than visit this place during March – July will be great. Remember to always see the change of seasons, which not easily predict in Indonesia. Avoid a rainy seasons if you want to visit Nemberala Beach of course.
How to Get Here
There are two options for visitors to reach this amazing beach. Since the beach is lies in such a remote island, you need an extra efforts to visit Nemberala beach. Here are the options that you can get :
- By airplane, you can book for flight from Kupang to Rote. There are two airlines serving the route, Trans Nusa and Susi Air. The price will range from Rp 200K-300K/person and is scheduled to fly 3 times a week.
- You can also find the sea routes here both by using a ferry of speedboat. The route both ferry and speedboat will depart from Kupang. The ferry will start from Bolok port, Kupang to Pantai Baru (New Beach) port, Rote and will take about 3-5 hours with the price around Rp 50K.
- If you choose a speedboat than you will departed from Tenau port, Kupang to Pantai Baru (New Beach), Rote and will take about 1.5-2 hours with the price around Rp 150K-190K.
After arriving at the port in Rote Island, you can take a ride to the city of Ba’a for around 45 minutes. The road is quite comfortable and the road has been smoothy paved. Ba’a city can be said as the center of Rote island. Here you can reach Nemberala beach by travel agent or using motorbike, or taxibike, or you can also find a bus at a cost of Rp 50K-100K.
You won’t get bored during the trip to the beach because you will be presented with beautiful savanna views. The road was quiet enough, peace and once in a while, the cool breeze will greeting you on the road.
Here are some advices from visitntt for you, who want to visit Nemeberala beach. To make your vacation be more interesting and satisfying, you need to pay attention of these advices :
- There are various homestay, hotel, or resort near Nemberala beach. You need to pick one according to your budget and needs. Calculated also on how many days you will stay here. Since the price for lodging is very diverse from hundreds to millions of rupiah.
- Residents’ homes can also be your choice of lodging.
- For an international tourist destination, there are no much of facilities here in Nemberala beach. So you need to prepare for your needs carefully. Better to stored for daily needs in Kupang before you departed to Rote island.
- We recommend you to book for accomodation and transportation first. It will be a lot easier for you, to spend time here if you booked that already.
Bring enough cash, since you will need it. And of course there are so many activities that you can choose here, aside from surfing and enjoying the view of beach. Snorkeling, fishing, swimming or enjoy the local culture. You can visit weaving village, the house of King of Rote, or rent a boat to visit nearby islands.